This Privacy Statement is for Borderfree, Inc. and its affiliates (collectively "Borderfree", "we", "us" or "our"). Borderfree understands how important your privacy is to you. Rest assured that your privacy and trust are also very important to us.
This Privacy Statement details the personal information we collect about you, the means through which we collect that information, with whom we share it, how we secure that information, and how you can change your preferences regarding how we use personal information you provide to us at sites within the Borderfree checkout and borderfree.com (collectively, “Borderfree Websites”).
By using the Borderfree Websites, you are consenting to the collection, use, disclosure, storage and processing of Personal Information (as defined below) as described in this Privacy Statement.
The following topics are presented in this Privacy Statement:
- What Types of Personal Information Does Borderfree Collect?
- What Cookies and Other Technologies Does Borderfree Use?
- How Does Borderfree Use and Share Personal Information?
- How Does Borderfree Store and Secure Personal Information?
- How Can You Make Choices About Receiving Marketing, Promotional and Other Information?
- What Are Your Rights Regarding Personal Information?
- What Should You Understand About Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites?
- Are Children Allowed to Use Borderfree?
- Do We Conduct Questionnaires, Panels, Contests, or Sweepstakes?
- Does Borderfree Transfer Personal Information Cross Border?
- Does Borderfree Transfer Personal Information to the U.S.?
- What Should You Know About Changes to This Privacy Statement?
- What are the Terms & Conditions and Dispute Resolution?
- DPO, EU & UK Representatives
- How Can You Contact Borderfree?
- California Consumer Privacy Act
You are not legally required to provide us with any Personal Information, but without it we will not be able to provide you with the full range of services or with the best user experience when using our services.
In order to provide and continually improve our products and services, we may require that you provide certain personal information, which include but are not limited to the examples listed below (“Personal Information”).
- Information We Collect From You Directly. We collect information from you when you (a) provide information via any of the Borderfree Websites, including any user accounts as more fully described in our Terms & Conditions at https://www.borderfree.com/terms/en_us, (b) interact with any of Borderfree’s checkouts, (c) participate in any Borderfree questionnaires, panels, contests, or sweepstakes, (d) communicate or interact with Borderfree customer service (via email, mail, courier, fax, web form, and/or phone) and/or (e) engage in any other electronic or oral conversation with an employee, contractor or agent of Borderfree. Through these channels, you might provide us with information about you, information about the recipient of any merchandise you are ordering and/or having shipped.
The following are examples of the types of Personal Information that may be collected directly from you (or someone acting on your behalf):
- Contact information (including name, street address, email address, telephone number)
- Government issued IDs (such as tax identification)
- Username, password, and other information used in combination to verify identity
- Financial information (including credit/debit card and bank account information)
- Geolocation, demographic, shipping/receiving, billing, and other information related to the purchase or delivery of Borderfree products and services or services you access through the Borderfree Websites
- Any other personal information or characteristics about an individual that identifies or could be used to identify such individual.
- Information We Collect in Other Ways. We also collect other information about you when you interact with the Borderfree Websites and certain of their features, including user accounts or other accounts, checkouts, questionnaires, panels, contests, sweepstakes and social media features ("Social Media Features"). An example of this may be signing into a Borderfree Website account using your social media sign-in credentials or otherwise interacting with third party social media features that are enabled on the Borderfree Websites.
This Personal Information may be collected by us or our third party partners through log files and may include your city and country location, your IP address, your browser, mobile device or other device, a unique identifier for your browser or device and details of your usage such as your preferences, “pins”, “likes” and “dislikes”. Another example would include confirmations that we receive when you open an email from us or our partners (if your computer or other device supports that function).
We may also collect and track other device-related information, such as home server domain names, IP addresses, type of your computer, web browser information, and aggregate and specific information on what pages you access. We may also collect Personal Information from our affiliate companies, business partners, other third parties and publicly available information for verification purposes. Combining this information (or comparing this information) with the information otherwise detailed throughout this Privacy Statement helps us to fulfill your orders, update, expand and analyze our records, and recommend products and services that may be of interest to you, all subject to the appropriate legal bases for collecting and using your Personal Information.
- Blogs. Certain of our blogs may be managed by third parties using third party applications and you may be required to register with such third party applications in order to post a comment. We may not have access or control of the information posted to the blog. In such cases, you will need to contact or login to the third party application if you want the personal information that was posted to the comments section removed. To learn how the third party uses your information, please review the third party’s privacy statement.
A cookie is a small file downloaded on to a device when a user accesses certain websites. When you interact with Borderfree or its partners, cookies and other similar technologies may be used for storing information, and accessing information stored on your devices, such as your computer, mobile device or other device. These cookies and other similar technologies may include first party cookies (i.e., those placed by the website being visited) and third party cookies (i.e., those placed by a website other than the one being visited), Local Shared Objects (commonly referred to as "Flash Cookies" or “HTML 5 Cookies”) and tracking pixels (including transparent or clear gifs).
Cookies can either expire at the end of a session ("Session Cookies") or be persistent and last through multiple sessions ("Persistent Cookies"). Session Cookies can be helpful for remembering items you put in your shopping cart as you browse the site, or for security reasons when you are providing financial information. Persistent Cookies are stored on your device in between sessions, which allows for your preferences or actions to be remembered and used on a website (or in some cases across different websites). Persistent Cookies may be helpful in remembering your preferences and choices when using a website or to ensure advertising messages are more relevant to you.
Cookies are useful because they allow us to recognize your device and provide you with a high level of service and relevant offers and to permit our services to work as intended. If you do not wish to have cookies be used when interacting with Borderfree or its partners, many web browsers allow you to stop accepting cookies and/or to warn you when a third party is trying to transfer a cookie to you. You can take additional steps to disable or delete similar data by modifying the "add-on" settings on your browser. However, please note that certain cookies are required for you to be able to take advantage of some of Borderfree's important functions. For example, if you do not allow our functional cookies, you may not be able to purchase items from one of our checkouts.
The Borderfree Websites may include Social Media Features, such as the Facebook “Like” button and widgets such as the “Share” button or interactive mini-programs that run on the Borderfree Websites. These Social Media Features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our site, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. Social Media Features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on the Borderfree Websites. Your interactions with these Social Media Features are governed by the privacy statement of the company providing the Social Media Feature.
We partner with third parties to either display advertising on the Borderfree Websites or to manage advertising on other sites. Our third party partners may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on the Borderfree Websites and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads on the Borderfree Websites, you may opt-out by clicking here (or if located in the European Union click here). Please note this does not opt you out of being shown generic ads on the Borderfree Websites.
By choosing to enter into a contract with us for the purchase of goods, you provide us with a legal basis to use and retain Personal Information as needed to provide and improve services we offer you, fulfill your order, facilitate, sponsor and offer certain events and promotions and to publish your feedback and to authenticate the identity of our Users, and to allow them access to our Services. Additionally, we may use your personal information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and prevent and detect fraud and abuse. We may also create aggregated statistical data, inferred non-personal data or anonymized or pseudonymized data (rendered non-personal), which we or our business partners may use to provide and improve our respective services.
By way of example, and not limitation, we analyze transaction data for the purpose of identifying trends, statistics and measurements that could contribute to the enhancement of Borderfree services. Such use could include identifying market sensitivities, and relative market interest in specific product categories. We may also send you satisfaction questionnaires or other surveys and send you marketing information. Another example would be if you place an order with us through one of our merchant suppliers, we (our merchant supplier or other entity on our behalf) may contact you if there is an issue with the order.
We do not sell Personal Information to others and do not share Personal Information with third parties other than as outlined in this Privacy Statement.
- Marketplaces and Partners Involved in Your Transactions. Depending on how you interact with Borderfree, you may make purchases that involve third parties. For example, you may make a purchase that involves a third-party website or marketplace. In such situation, you may initially view products on a Borderfree Website or that third-party website or marketplace and Borderfree is facilitating the order or otherwise involved. If this is the case, it will be very clear to you that a third party is involved in your transaction. And, if so, we may share Personal Information with that third party and that third party’s privacy statement may apply to how they use and share Personal Information.
- Service Provider. Borderfree may provide Personal Information to certain service providers, in connection with the fulfillment of your purchase instructions, including but not limited to delivery agents, email service providers to send you emails on our behalf, customer support providers to process your feedback, customs brokers, international revenue authorities and fraud management parties. Borderfree will always limit the Personal Information we provide to be what is reasonably necessary for those service providers to carry out their responsibilities as they relate to the fulfillment of your purchase instructions, and to subscribe you to any Borderfree and/or third party marketing messages you opt-in to receive. Our service providers are required to keep the Personal Information received from us confidential and secure and they may not use it for any purpose other than the purpose for which Borderfree provided it. Borderfree may provide you with certain services, including payment processing services, either directly or indirectly through its affiliates or subsidiaries, including without limitation the entities listed here and Borderfree, Ltd. and Pitney Bowes PayCo Holdings Limited, located at 51/52 Fitzwilliam Square West, Dublin 2, Ireland; Pitney Bows PayCo US Inc. and Global-e US Inc., located at 200 West 41st Street New York, New York 10036; Pitney Bowes PayCo Australia PTY Limited, located at 95 St. Hilliers Road, Auburn NSW 2144, AU, Australia; Pitney Bowes Canada PayCo Limited, located at 181 Bay Street, Suite 2100, Toronto, ON, M5J 2T3, Canada; Pitney Bowes PayCo UK Limited, located at Building 5 Trident Place, Hatfield Business Park, Mosquito Way, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9UJ, United Kingdom; Pitney Bowes PayCo Japan KK, located at Gotenyama Trust Tower, 7-35, Kitashinagawa 4-chome, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, Japan; Pitney Bowes PayCo Singapore Pte Ltd, located at 8 Marine Boulevard, #05-02, Marina Bay Financial Centre, 018981, Singapore; and Pitney Bowes PayCo Switzerland GmbH, located at Steigstrasse 26, CH-8406 Winterthur, Switzerland. You hereby acknowledge and by submitting Personal Information via the Borderfree Websites, you agree that Borderfree may carry out such services through Borderfree’s related entities, which may include affiliates and subsidiaries in your country, and provide Personal Information to such related entities for the purpose of providing our services.
- Opting-In With Third Parties or Use of Third Party Features. If and when you opt-in as described in the Section "How Can You Make Choices About Receiving Marketing, Promotions and Other Information?", we may supply Personal Information to third parties. Also, if and when you use third party items that interact with the Borderfree Websites, including third party Social Media Features, third party blogs or other third party applications or items, we may supply Personal Information to those third parties if you opt in to share your Personal Information with a third party.
- Business Transition. In the event Borderfree goes through a business transition, such as a proposed or actual merger with or acquisition by another company, sale of all or a portion of our assets or brands, reorganization, bankruptcy, or other similar events, Personal Information will likely be among the assets transferred.
- Your Consent. We may of course share your Personal Information in other ways that you specifically consent to. Where you consent to share your Personal Information with a third party, that third party’s privacy statement may apply to how they use and share Personal Information.
- Other Disclosures. We may disclose Personal Information to law enforcement, government officials, or other third parties if: (i) we are compelled to do so by subpoena, court order, judicial proceeding or other legal process, (ii) we must do so to comply with laws, statutes, rules or regulations, including credit card rules, or (iii) we believe in good faith that the disclosure is necessary to prevent physical harm, financial loss or otherwise to protect Borderfree’s rights, to report suspected illegal activity, or to investigate violations of any rules, regulations, laws, our Terms & Conditions set forth on the Borderfree Websites or this Privacy Statement.
- Aggregated Content. We may also share "aggregated/blinded" information with our merchant partners, PR agencies, advertising agencies, and other third parties. By "aggregated/blinded" information we mean, information from multiple users that does not contain Personal Information.
We take the security of your data very seriously at Borderfree. We use a variety of generally accepted standards, technologies, and processes to protect your data, including encryption at both the storage and transport level. However, please note that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
The security of your password is key to the security of your data. We recommend that you do not share, reuse, or store any of your passwords with anyone else. We may retain Personal Information for as long as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
If you are a Borderfree customer, you will receive transactional communications about your account and the products and services to which you subscribe. In some jurisdictions, you may have to opt-in to receive any marketing, promotional or other communications from us. In the event you opt-in, we will use and share your Personal Information as described in this Privacy Statement. If you wish to opt-out of receiving marketing, promotional or other communications from Borderfree, you may do so by (i) following the instructions provided in our marketing, promotional or other communications, or (ii) indicating your preferences on the relevant account profile/preferences section, or (iii) click here to Unsubscribe and you will be removed from Borderfree promotional/marketing email lists. In the event you opt-out, we will share your preference with applicable third parties as appropriate. Kindly note that no matter what your marketing preferences are, we may contact you to confirm or fulfill any order that you place, to respond to you, or for other purposes as set forth in this Privacy Statement.
In certain cases, we may give you the option to opt-in to receive marketing, promotional or other information from one of our partners or other third party. If you chose to opt-in for that, we will provide your Personal Information to that third party. By choosing to opt-in to a third party, you acknowledge that once your Personal Information has been shared with that third party, the subsequent safeguarding and usage of your Personal Information will be governed by that third party’s privacy statement, and any request for further information with respect to their intended use and/or to change your marketing preferences with that third party shall be directed to that third party (and not to Borderfree).
Where required by law, you may as it relates to your Personal Information (i) request access, (ii) make corrections, (iii) request deletion, (iv) restrict or object to processing (including the right to direct us not to sell your personal information to third parties now or in the future), or (v) request copies. When accessing or updating your Personal Information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request. Such additional information will be then retained by us for legal purposes (e.g., as proof of the identity of the person submitting the request, and of how each request was handled), in accordance with Section 3 above. We may redact from the data which we make available to you, any personal or confidential data related to others. Please note that we may reject requests, or limit the information we provide access to, if we determine it could risk the privacy of others or if unreasonable or repetitive, or if it would require disproportionate effort. Please note, by electing to not share certain Personal Information with us, we may be unable to provide you with all of the functionalities we offer through our Borderfree Websites. If you would like to make a request to Borderfree regarding your Personal Information, you may complete our data request form and we will respond to your request as soon as possible and as required by law.
The Borderfree Websites may include third-party advertising and links to partner websites or other third-party websites. We are not responsible for the content displayed or the practices of any such websites. We recommend that you review the privacy statement of those websites and third-parties.
Borderfree does not allow anyone under the age of 18 to take part in any of its services. If you are under the age of 18, you must stop using the Borderfree Websites and taking part in its services. If you are under 18, you may use Borderfree services only with the involvement of a parent or guardian. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without the consent of the child's parent or guardian.
We may provide you the opportunity to participate in questionnaires, panels, contests, or sweepstakes. Participation in these questionnaires, panels, contests, or sweepstakes is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose information. We use this information to notify contest winners, award prizes, monitor website traffic, personalize the Borderfree Websites, or for other legitimate business reasons.
We may use a third-party service provider to conduct these questionnaires, panels, contests, or sweepstakes. That company is prohibited from using your personal information provided in this context for any other purpose without your express consent.
Borderfree adheres to applicable laws and regulations regarding Personal Information moving across geographical and jurisdictional borders. This includes the use of data transfer agreements and model contractual clauses, where available, between our corporate entities, our partners, our service providers and our clients where required.
Personal Information submitted by you may be transferred by us to our other offices and/or to the third parties mentioned in the section “How Does Borderfree Use and Share Your Information?”, which may be situated (and may be processed by staff operating) in places other than your home jurisdiction. The countries concerned may not have similar data protection laws to your home jurisdiction. Where we transfer Personal Information, we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy continues to be protected. By submitting Personal Information via the Borderfree Websites, you agree to the storing, processing and/or transfer of Personal Information by Borderfree.
Specifically, if you are in the European Economic Area ("EEA"), Switzerland, or the UK the data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a location outside these jurisdictions, e.g. the USA. It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us (or our other corporate entities) or one of our service providers. Such staff or service providers may be engaged in, among other things, the fulfillment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. For such transfers we use the appropriate and updated transfer mechanism, including, where appropriate, the 2021 European Commission approved Standard Contractual Clauses and the 2022 UK International Data Transfer Agreement and/or Addendum. By submitting Personal Information, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing of Personal Information at locations outside the EEA. We will protect all Personal Information transferred outside the EEA as required by applicable law.
Borderfree participates in and has certified its compliance with the EU-U.S. and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks when they were valid. Borderfree no longer relies on the EU-U.S. nor the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield frameworks for international transfers of Personal Information, but remains committed to subjecting all personal data received from European Union (EU) member countries and Switzerland, respectively, to the Framework’s applicable Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Frameworks, and to view our certification, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov/.
With respect to personal data received or transferred in/to the U.S., Borderfree is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. Borderfree may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
Borderfree commits to resolve complaints about your privacy and our collection or use of your Personal Information. If you believe Borderfree processes your Personal Information, you may direct any inquiries or complaints concerning our compliance to us at the information in the “How Can I Contact Borderfree?” section below. If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concerns that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact JAMS, our U.S-based third party dispute resolution provider, free of charge at https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield.
We reserve the right to modify this Privacy Statement at any time, so please review it at https://www.borderfree.com/privacy/en_us frequently. If we make significantly material changes to this Privacy Statement, we will notify you by means of a notice on the Borderfree Websites. Your continued use of our Borderfree Websites indicates your consent to this Privacy Statement and any amended version of it.
Global-e, Borderfree’s parent company, has appointed PrivacyTeam Ltd. as our Data Protection Officer, for monitoring and advising on the group’s ongoing privacy compliance and serving as a point of contact on privacy matters for data subjects and supervisory authorities. Our DPO may be reached at [email protected] Global-e UK acts as our UK representative and can be contacted at [email protected] In addition, you may contact our European representative, RICKERT Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft m.b.H. Kaiserplatz 7 – 9, 53113 Bonn, Germany. Telephone No: 0049 228 74 898 0 Email: [email protected]
27 Waterview Dr,
Shelton, CT 06484
This Privacy Notice for California Residents supplements the information contained in Borderfree's Privacy Statement and applies solely to all visitors, users, and others who reside in the State of California ("consumers" or "you"). We adopt this notice to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) and any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this Notice.
Data Collection and Disclosure
Collection of Personal Information. Borderfree Websites collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer, household, or device ("personal information"). Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- Deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
|Identifiers||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, government issued Ids or other similar identifiers.|
|Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e))||
A name, signature, address, telephone number, government issued IDs, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number.
Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
|Commercial information||Records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing histories or tendencies.|
|Internet or other similar network activity||Information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.|
|Geolocation data||Physical location or movements.|
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you, such as when you complete forms, when you participate in any Borderfree questionnaires, panels, contests, or sweepstakes, or when you interact with any of the Borderfree Websites.
- From our business partners, third parties, and publicly available sources.
Disclosures for a Business or Commercial Purpose. In the preceding 12 months, Borderfree has disclosed the types of personal information listed above to its service providers for business purposes, except for Internet or other similar network activity.
No Sale of Personal Information. In the preceding 12 months, Borderfree has not sold any personal information.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. You have the right to receive a copy of your electronic personal information in a readily-usable format.
Right to Know.
You have the right to receive information from us regarding the categories of personal information we collected, the sources from which we collect personal information, the purposes for which we collected and used personal information, the categories of any personal information we sold, if any, as well as the categories of third parties to whom such personal information was sold, and the categories of personal information that we disclosed for a business purpose in the 12 months preceding your "right to know" request.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Right to Non-Discrimination.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights.
If you wish to exercise these rights, you must submit a request by emailing us at [email protected] with the subject "CCPA Request Form" and we will email you a request form for you to fill out and send it back to us. Completing the request forms allows us to work on your request most efficiently, but if you prefer to talk to someone on the phone, or you have a disability that makes it difficult to use the request forms, you may call 1-(866) 921-1861 to submit a request.