Last Updated: March 20, 2014
Borderfree, Inc. (f/k/a FiftyOne, Inc. dba FiftyOne Global Ecommerce) (“Borderfree”) understands how important your privacy is to you. Rest assured that your privacy and trust are also very important to us.
What Types of Personal Information Does Borderfree Collect?
We collect, store, and use information that you provide directly to us and information we acquire in other ways, each as detailed immediately below.
- Information We Acquire From You Directly. We acquire information from you when you (a) provide information via any of Borderfree’s websites, (b) interact with any of Borderfree’s international checkouts, (c) participate in any Borderfree questionnaires, panels, contests, or sweepstakes, (d) communicate or interact with customer service (via email, mail, courier, fax, and/or phone) and/or (e) engage in any other electronic or oral conversation with an employee, contractor or agent of Borderfree. Through these channels, you might provide us with information about you, information about the recipient of merchandise you are ordering, including, in either case, names, email addresses, postal addresses, phone numbers, genders, birthdays, marketing preferences, personal interests, credit card information, and other financial information, including driver’s license numbers, CPF numbers, and passport information.
What Cookies and Other Technologies Does Borderfree Use?
A cookie is a small file downloaded on to a device when a user accesses certain websites. When you interact with Borderfree or its partners, cookies and other technologies may be used for storing information, and accessing information stored on your devices, such as your computer, mobile device or other device. These cookies and other technologies may include first party cookies (i.e., those placed by the website being visited) and third party cookies (i.e., those placed by a website other than the one being visited), Local Shared Objects (commonly referred to as “Flash Cookies”) and web beacons or bugs or tracking pixels (including transparent or clear gifs).
Cookies can either expire at the end of a session (“Session Cookies”) or be persistent and last through multiple sessions (“Persistent Cookies”). Session Cookies can be helpful for remembering items you put in your shopping cart as you browse the site, or for security reasons when you are providing financial information. Persistent Cookies are stored on your device in between sessions, which allows for your preferences or actions to be remembered and used on a website (or in some cases across different websites). Persistent Cookies may be helpful in remembering your preferences and choices when using a website or to ensure advertising messages are more relevant to you.
Cookies are useful because they allow us to recognize your device and provide you with a high level of service and relevant offers. If you do not wish to have cookies be used when interacting with Borderfree or its partners, many web browsers allow you to stop accepting cookies and/or to warn you when a third party is trying to transfer a cookie to you. You can take additional steps to disable or delete similar data, such as Flash Cookies, by modifying the “add-on” settings on your browser. You can learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies by clicking here. However, please note that certain cookies are required for you to be able to take advantage of some of Borderfree’s important functions. For example, if you do not allow our cookies, you may not be able to purchase items from one of our checkouts.
How Does Borderfree Share Your Information?
Aggregated Content. We may also share “aggregated/blinded” information with our merchant partners, PR agencies, advertising agencies, and other third parties. By “aggregated/blinded” information we mean, information from multiple users that contains only zip codes, purchasing amounts, timing of transactions/usage and frequency of usage – with no other private information or identifying information included.
How Does Borderfree Handle, Store and Secure Your Information?
We use a variety of current technologies and processes to protect your data, and to ensure that any and all personal data is transmitted in a safe, encrypted format. All personally identifiable information is transmitted between Borderfree and its partners over secure channels. Where data is exchanged in real time, we do so over SSL-encrypted channels. Where data is exchanged in batch, we encrypt the data set prior to transmission, and also send it over SSL-encrypted channels. However, please note that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
How Can You Make Choices About Receiving Marketing, Promotional and Other Information?
Borderfree may send you marketing, promotional or other information. In certain cases, when interacting with Borderfree, you may be provided with a choice to opt-in or opt-out of receiving such information. In other cases, you will not be presented this choice. If you, at any time, choose to opt-out of receiving such information, we will abide by that marketing preference. Moreover, at any time (no matter what you have chosen or informed us of in the past), you may send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org expressing a marketing preference or updating or requesting the deletion of your personal information—we will abide by that preference and update your personal information accordingly. We will respond to your requests regarding your personal information within 30 days. You may of course also follow the unsubscribe instructions contained in the marketing communications you receive from Borderfree.
If you have previously opted-in to receive such information from us or a specific third party, declining to opt-in at any future time for us or that third party will not be treated as an opt-out for your marketing preference.
Kindly note that no matter what your marketing preferences are, we may contact you to acknowledge, confirm or fulfill any order that you place, to respond to you or for other legitimate business reasons.
We will retain and use your information as needed to provide you services, fulfill your order, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and for other legitimate business reasons.
What You Should Understand About Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites?
Are Children Allowed to Use Borderfree?
Borderfree does not allow anyone under the age of 18 to take part in any of its services. If you are under the age of 18, you must stop using our website and taking part in its services now. To be clear, but not to limit what you are not allowed to do, if you are under 18, you may not make purchases from Borderfree or any of its partners, you may not click through to any of our partners’ websites, and you many not take part in any surveys, panels or the like.
Do We Conduct Questionnaires, Panels, Contests, or Sweepstakes?
We may provide you the opportunity to participate in questionnaires, panels, contests, or sweepstakes. Participation in these questionnaires, panels, contests, or sweepstakes is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose information. We use this information to notify contest winners, award prizes, monitor website traffic, personalize the website, or for other legitimate business reasons.
We may use a third party service provider to conduct these questionnaires, panels, contests, or sweepstakes. That company is prohibited from using your personal information for any other purpose without your express consent.
Is Borderfree Both EU & Swiss Safe Harbor Compliant?
Borderfree complies with the U.S.–E.U. and U.S.–Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal data from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Borderfree has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Borderfree’s certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this statement, you should first contact Ari Staiman, General Counsel, Borderfree at email@example.com or via postal mail at 292 Madison Avenue, 5th Floor, New York, NY 10017. If you do not receive acknowledgement of your inquiry or your inquiry has not been satisfactorily addressed, you should contact TRUSTe at http://watchdog.truste.com/pvr.php?page=complaint. TRUSTe will then serve as a liaison with us to resolve your concern.
What are the Conditions on Use and Dispute Resolution?
- Marketplaces and Partners Involved in Your Transactions. Depending on how you interact with Borderfree, you may make purchases that involve third parties. For example, you may make a purchase that involves a third-party website or marketplace. In such situation, you may initially view products on that website or marketplace and Borderfree is facilitating the order or otherwise involved. If this is the case, it will be very clear to you that a third party is involved in your transaction. And, if so, we may share your personal information with that third party.
- Service Provider. Borderfree may provide your personal information to certain service providers, in connection with the fulfillment of your purchase instructions, including but not limited to delivery agents, email service providers to send you emails on our behalf, customer support providers to process your feedback, customs brokers, international revenue authorities and fraud management parties. Borderfree will always attempt to limit the information we provide to be what is reasonably sufficient for those service providers to carry out their responsibilities as they relate to the fulfillment of your purchase instructions, and to subscribe you to any Borderfree and/or third party marketing messages you opt-in to receive.
- Opting-In with Third Parties. When you opt-in as described in the Section “How Can You Make Choices About Receiving Marketing, Promotional and Other Information?”, we may supply your personal information to third parties.
- Borderfree’s Protection. We will disclose your personally identifiable information as required by law, when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process, to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions and other agreements and to protect the rights of Borderfree.
- Business Transition. In the event Borderfree goes through a business transition, such as a merger with or acquisition by another company, sale of all or a portion of our assets or brands, your personally identifiable information will likely be among the assets transferred.
- You Otherwise Consent. We may of course share your information in other ways that you specifically consent to.